Sunday, April 30, 2006

WWE says Hi to 'The Great Khali'

The year was 1998 and I was in my second year of Engineering. I was seriously into pumping iron like most of my classmates and it was then that I heard of a legend. There was a bodyduilding show in Bangalore and most of my friends at the gym wanted to go and check out the star - Dalip Singh from Punjab. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the show.

The guys who actually met this man were full of awe and respect for him (would you dare disrespect him?). They told me that they hadn't seen a person like him before. They talked about a man who was 7'2", weighed a 175 kilos and drank milk in litres. They said he was just playing with the barbells that others couldn't even budge.

Eight years rolled by and I had forgotten this man when he comes back with a bang! This time, the location is the U.S and he beat the hell out of Undertaker in his debut match! Dalip Singh has entered the arena of WWE in style. He is changing the American perception of 'mild', 'soft spoken' Indians. Ladies and Gentlemen - I present The Great Khali a.k.a Dalip Singh. His is a typical rags-to-riches story. From a road side daily wage worker to a policeman to a professional wrestler, Dalip Singh has come a log way. A lot of people have already told his story online, so I wont waste anymore online space. It's enough to say that you can search for 'Dalip Singh' on Wikipedia. :)
(Picture Courtesy: www.desktoparena.com)


He's put on 20 kilos (of muscle) in the last 8 years. He looks great and is all set to make his career in professional wrestling. He's also acted in a recent movie 'The Longest Yard' with Adam Sandler. I wish him all the best. I just feel sad about the Police Department's loss. India really needs policemen like him! :-P

1 comment:

Mann Sahib said...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/206001/1/.html

Just an update on your favorite performer. Enjoi lah