Thursday, April 20, 2006

Why are we so obsessed with recognition?

I collected the 2006 resume book from the career resource centre a couple of days ago. As I browsed through the profiles of my fellow Nanyang MBAs, I made an interesting observation.

Almost every profile (mostly Indian and Chinese) seemed to have a mention of some award or recognition. In the rare cases where there were no 'awards', they seemed to take great pride in the fact that they either grew the market share by X% or increased some process efficiency by Y% or helped save their company a couple of million dollars.

I saw ONE profile out of seventy one that mentioned some activity done out of passion. Though it was only for two months... Chris (from St.Gallen) taught street children and worked for Jan Vikas Soceity and Pavement Club in Mumbai. Way to go Chris... More than the fact that you worked for this organization, I admire the fact that you chose to mention this as your previous work experience on a resume book that could 'potentially' be read by numerous employers. Being the natural cynic that I am, I also wonder whether he had any ulterior motive in doing this, but at this point in time, I am ready to give him a clean chit :)

Looking at the resume book, I am confident that most of us will make good managers and land good jobs, but I wonder what kind of leaders we will make. How many of us will actually 'inspire' people? For I believe that to be the ultimate evaluation for a leader. Isn't it high time we took our eyes off those silly meaningless 'performance' awards and focused on some real 'personality' development?

I dont know about others, but I want to work towards being a 'true leader' and not an 'efficient manager'.

No comments: