Friday, October 06, 2006

Capital Punishment

Patriot in me: He attacked the symbol of Indian democracy. He probably deserves it.

Rationalist in me: Forget his tag and beliefs. Let's not make it an emotional issue. He was responsible for a few deaths. He should be awarded the punishment that the Indian Penal Code prescribes for murder. Life Imprisonment/Death based on the motive, cruelty in action and the number of people killed.

Philosopher in me: A man who lives by the sword dies by the sword. He believed in violence and hence will meet a violent end.

Humanitarian in me: If we kill him, what's the difference between them and us?

Cynic in me: What do I care? Let the idiots argue till they drop with fatigue. Extremists will continue to kill and maim. Governments will continue to hunt them down. People will continue to argue. This doesn't change anything. Today is as shitty as yesterday and tomorrow will probably be shittier.

To me, the question is not whether he should hang or not. The bigger question is 'Who am I?'

No comments: